Sunday, August 7, 2011
10 Random Thoughts on Lemmy: The Movie
1. I'd like to have seen more of the Tiswas Years. There was a time when Motörhead had Top 10 singles and appeared on Saturday morning TV. I'm guessing that was the time when they attracted most of their long time fans. They haven't always been an underground band.
2. No Girlschool? Kim and Enid were thanked in the credits, but were nowhere to be seen in the film. If you can find space for Jarvis Cocker and Peter hook, then surely you can find space for Girlschool.
3. You need a record company with a marketing budget behind you. AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Motorhead all broke into the charts in 1980 - 82, but only the first two went on to a life of mansions and ivory back scratchers. If Motorhead had been on Atlantic or EMI in the early 80s rather than Bronze, their story may have been different.
4. Stacia really was something, eh? Now I know why my blogging friend Lost Jimmy is so keen to time travel back to 1973.
5. Dave Grohl's "Professional Fan" routine is starting to grate, and he's running the risk of turning into a Metal version of Bono.
6. You don't need to be a professional psychologist to be intrigued by his relationship with fruit machines. He even had one in the dressing room. Unfortunately the film tended to take the "Dude, it's frickin' Lemmy!" approach when discussing eccentricities.
7. Bomber has a great riff. I knew that already, and I'm guessing that you know that too, but go and stick it on just now. It really has a great riff.
8. The Musician's Hyperbole was well in evidence. Despite what Ozzy Osbourne said, Motörhead did not invent Heavy Metal. That was a band called Black Sabbath, Ozzy. You used to sing for them.
9. Watching him leave his flat to go on tour, I was thinking that Samsonite are missing a great sponsorship opportunity.
10. And where was Philthy Animal?