Friday, March 12, 2010
10 Random Thoughts on "Heavy Metal Britannia"
1. All that "proto-metal" stuff with Blue Cheer, Cream and the Edgar Broughton Band etc didn't really convince and took up too much time. Metal is about more than just hitting the instruments hard, and as good as those bands were, I'm listening to the first Black Sabbath album as I write this, and none of these bands really anticipate or predict it. It all starts here.
2. Rob Halford seems a decent bloke.
3. Hasn't Brian Tatler off of Diamond Head aged badly? And since when were Diamond Head as important as Saxon and Iron Maiden?
4. Deep Purple's music hasn't aged too well. And they weren't really metal. Well, maybe "Speed King"
5. Burke Shelley is a bit of an arse
6. Bill Ward has a hell of a boozer's nose. But he seems a lovely man.
7. Judas Priest's influence is overlooked. If you look at the NWOBHM bands, their sound can be traced back to Black Sabbath - but they sound more like Judas Priest.
8. Most Heavy Metal musicians aren't very articulate when it comes to defining Heavy Metal: "It's kind of .. you know, heavy"
9. Mick Box's interesting "ear flaps" theory that bands were protected from the noise from the amplifiers because ears "face forward" is an interesting one, but may not stand up to rigorous scientific examination.
10. "Symptom of the Universe" was a perfect choice for the song over the credits. Be honest.